Thursday, January 24, 2013

Rocket Fuel

Yeah, it's that classic story of a kid getting in way over his head and setting something on fire.

When I was in middle school, more precisely 8th grade, I had a fascination with rockets.  My aunt found out about this and sent me a couple model rocket sets for Christmas I think.  Bottom line is I received rockets in some way shape or form.  But they weren't just any rockets, the used an electric shock that ignited the black powder inside which propelled the awesome contraption toward the sky.  Like every other kid my age I pretended like I knew how to work it, I mean after all, I had set of tons of rockets before.  (Yeah right.)

It was a beautiful Spring day and I decided today was as good a day as any.  I went to my middle school, set up in the baseball field, and prepared for complete epicness.  I'm more of a learn by doing type of guy so I set up the cords to the launch platform, walk out the cords until I'm a safe-ish distance away, and hit the button...  Nothing happens.  Then I remember, I forgot to put the batteries in for the launch button.  I put them in and prepare again to see something awesome.  Again, I've never done this before and I'm kind of by myself, in the middle of a field surrounded by a bunch of dead grass, on a warm Spring day.  I count down from 10. 9. 8. 7. 6. 5. 4. 3. 2. 1.  Button pressed and I watched as the rocket shot up into the air.  They weren't lying when they said it would go about 200 feet.  Then it dropped, and as it got closer to the ground, I realized that in launching the rocket the grass was set on fire.  Crap, fire!  And it's spreading quick.  So I jump to action, literally, I ran to the fire and jumped on it.  After jumping around for a good five minutes the fire was out, the rocket was destroyed, and I had melted the soles of my shoes.  It was at this point that I decided, maybe rockets aren't for me.

That day I walked home empty handed thinking to myself, I need new shoes, that was awesome, and mom can never know.  I quickly moved on to something new, I think it was skateboarding.

No comments:

Post a Comment