Thursday, January 24, 2013

Grenade

You might be thinking, "Grenade?, did he blow something up?"

The answer to that is, NO!  At least not intentionally but that story is for another time.

This story is about a sport I enjoy a lot.  It's ultimate Frisbee.  For those of you who don't know the object of the game is to pass the Frisbee down the field to eventually get a touchdown.  There are many different ways to throw the Frisbee and my personal favorite is called the hammer throw.  It's basically like throwing a football, or over hand pitch fast ball, but you have to angle it just right so it flies smooth, flattens out and drops into the receivers hands.

I'm a co-captain on a team called the Spartans, we have fun, even if we lose (which happens a lot).  Mac is our captain.  Together we have created a play we like to call the Grenade.  It only happens on a throw off  though.  We get the Frisbee, and in a burst of adrenaline and speed, Mac takes off towards the in zone while I hammer throw the disc straight to him, and for some crazy reason he catches it 95% of the time.

Case and point, our team was losing horribly, we wanted to score one more time in the last ten seconds of the game.  The other team threw the disc, and our teammate caught it and tossed it to me.  It was time, and in that last ditch effort I chucked the Frisbee as best I could knowing as soon as it left my hand it might just  make it to the in zone.  All the while, I couldn't see Mac running to the disc, little did I know he was in the in zone running around a group of guys and he slid in to catch the disc at the last second.

We still lost, I'm not even sure if we got the point or not, but I won't forget how awesome it was.  Don't worry I'll get to the story of when I caught a field on fire eventually, if not next.

No comments:

Post a Comment